Winamp is a free music player for Windows developed by Nullsoft. A commercial "Pro" version is also available.
The main advantages of Winamp is its ease of use. In addition, it is skinnable, and extensible using plugins. As of version 5.2, it fully supports multi-user (i.e. each user of your computer may have their own skin, playlist, and other settings).
You can download Winamp at http://www.winamp.com/ . While you are there, you might also check their skin library and plugin library. And also check the very useful community (forums) where new plugins are announced and publicly tested, and very minor updates (i.e. 0.001 version increment) are posted.
- Crippled CD burning (~8x)
- Crippled CD ripping (~8x)
- AAC encoding (no MP3 encoding)
- FLAC encoding (Flake encoder)
- Transcoding of the different audio formats
- Media library
- ReplayGain Analyzer
- adding ReplayGain in the ID3 tags
- ReplayGain scanner to apply Album Gain or Track Gain
The Pro version, which can be bought online, comes with some additional features compared to the free version.
- Burn CDs at full speed
- Rip CDs at full speed
- AAC and MP3 encoding
Some recommended plugins
- Playlist Separator - provides a customizable separator line to delimit albums in a long playlist.
- MojoMaster - sexy dancer visualization.