- Please see this thread for a discussion of the future structure of this wiki. If you have thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc., please join in this discussion. In the meantime, please feel free to fill in gaps in the information below.
- See also style related discussion
- 1 General Information
- 2 Audio Formats
- 3 Media Extractors
- 4 Media Players
- 5 Audio Editors
- 6 Testing Software
- 7 Audio Hardware
- 8 Audio Theory
- 9 Audio Development
- 10 Audio Resources
- 11 Other Topics
- 12 Glossary
- Create a long-term archive
- Enabling DMA
- Create a lossless back-up with EAC and Flac
- Configuring EAC and Lame
- Configuring EAC and Vorbis
- Configuring EAC and Wavpack
- Configuring EAC and FLAC
- Configuring EAC and Monkey's Audio
- Apple Lossless
- Free Lossless Audio Compressor
- Lossless Audio
- Monkey's Audio
- RealAudio Lossless
- True Audio
- WMA Lossless
- Exact Audio Copy (Win32)
- iTunes (Win32/OsX)
- cdparanoia (Posix)
- CDex (Win32)
- PlexTools (Win32)
- dBpowerAMP with AccurateRip (Win32)
- DVDDecrypter (Win32)
Mac OS X (Non-BSD Specific)
- CL-Amp (BeOS)
Mac OS X (Non-BSD Specific)
Note: Might be good to put something here about the problems of quality comparisons using graphs, frequency sweeps, etc.
- Terratec EWX 24/96
- M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
- M-Audio Revolution 5.1
- Emu 0404 24/96
- Emu 1212M 24/192
- Audiotrak MAYA 5.1
- Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1
Digital Audio Players
(These players make use of a internal flash drive.)
(These players make use of a internal harddrive.)
(Car stereos that can read MP3, Vorbis, WMA, etc.).
note: Let's start with basic development tools (compilers, engineering tools, dev. libraries) until we think of more tools to add. I am also adding external links to books, tutorials, etc under resources.
- MATLAB 7.0 commercial software for algorithmic design, developement, engineering, and scientific computing.
- GNU Octave open-source alternative software (GPL) to MATLAB for numerical computations, engineering, and scientific computing. (multi-platform support)
- FFTW Is a C subroutine library for computing the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions on real and complex inputs.
- GCC THE GNU compiler collection for C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Java, and Ada.
- DevCPP free front-end IDE and compiler for the C and C++ languages. Delphi and C source code available.
- Scientific/R&D Forums for Psychoacoustic, DSP, Electrical Engineering, theory, and coding related questions. (most questions are generally answered)
- AES The Audio Engineering Society website. Home of year-round world AES conferences.
- Psychoacoustics - Facts and Models author's Zwicker, Fastl, and Hugo, revised 1999 second edition. THE book for comprehensive psychoacoustics models and figures.
- Scientist and Engineer's Guide to DSP author Steve Smith, a great guide for beginners new to the subject of DSP (free online text)
- Perceptual Audio Coding authors A. Painter and T. Spanias. Comprehensive paper on percepual audio coding (PDF)
- DSP Tutorials this site provides another good introduction in to the area of DSP.
- Music-DSP source-code archive for anaylsis, filters, effects and synthesis. (C, C++, and Java code)
- ALSA Project (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) bringing audio and MIDI capabilities to Linux.
- A Really friendly guide to Wavelets A good introduction to wavelets aimed towards engineer, requires a fair amount of background knowledge.
Note: Let's include a small description to the side for now, so that we have something to work with when this section becomes large enough for its own page
- http://www.audiocoding.com (Page with a wiki on technical audio topics, homepage of FAAC and FAAD2, also has an AAC forum.)
- http://www.ff123.net (Lots of general information on various MP3 implementations, test samples, testing methodology information, homepage of ABC/HR)
- http://www.head-fi.org (general information/board about head phones and portable audio players)
- http://www.rarewares.org (Downloads for many audio and media tools)