Lossless compression explained
Popular lossless formats
There are several old lossless formats that aren't really deserving of having an article all for themselves. Reasons are: lack of widespread support, lack of features, bad efficiency and, most importantly, it seems noone is really interested in them.
- Advanced Digital Audio (ADA)
- Marian's a-Pac
- Dakx WAV
- Entis Lab MIO
- Pegasus SPS
Note that currently no single format can be considered best for all applications. Rather, the best format depends on the intended use, as well as a number of other factors (such as licensing and file structure). For example, Shorten and FLAC are widely used for sharing live music because of their cross-platform support and speed. Monkey's Audio is popular among Windows users for its superior compression ratio.
Lossless compressors comparisons (note the specific assumptions and limitations of each comparison; in particular, results are sensitive to the music selected):
- Includes an interesting graph of encode/decode speeds vs. file size on the All Albums page
- Lossless comparison
- A comparision focusing more on codec features and less on absolute encoding efficiency. Also features a table comparing most popular codecs based on their features.
- Performance Comparison of Lossless Audio Compressors - Compares file size, encode speed, decode speed for APE, FLAC, LPAC, WavPack, Shorten (SHN), RKAU, OptimFROG, LA, WMA Lossless. Updated 5-2003
- Includes a variety of notes, but the testing was completed in 2000, making the results largely obsolete.