|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS/X, Linux/BSD|
|Use||Extraction Library API|
What is cdparanoia? cdparanoia is a bit different than most other CD-DA extration tools. It contains few-to-no extra features ("Too many features spoil the broth") , concentrating only on the ripping process and knowing as much as possible about the hardware performing it. cdparanoia will read correct, rock-solid audio data from inexpensive drives prone to misalignment, frame jitter, and loss of streaming during atomic reads. cdparanoia will also read and repair data from CDs that have been damaged in some way using interpolation and padding sectors with silence or 0 bytes.
cdparanoia is more or less the only secure ripper available for the Linux operating system.
There have been series of bugfixes to cdparanoia, which date back to 9.8 release in 2001. Many of them include, pre-gap detection, buffering patches, kernel interface changes (CD-ROM routines), and support for SG_IO (application/SCSI commands). These were done in preperation for the stable 10.0 release. This is the last release before cdparanoia IV, which will not be backwards compatible.
Some GUI's (like CDex) and the main command-line interface, allow you to control the type of extraction method that cdparanoia performs. There are several modes that can be used as specified by the user.
- Full, Paranoia
- No Verify
- No Sratch Detection
note: this is a work in progress
CD Ripping software
This is a list of Digital Audio Extraction tools, which use libparanoia by platform:
- abcde (command-line based)
- Rubyripper - custom port.
- X-CD-Roast - for ripping.
- TCVP a video and music player and CD ripper.
- dekagen dekagen is a BASH script that automates the ripping, encoding, and naming of music data that comes from CD and will be saved in Ogg Vorbis files, using programs like cdparanoia, and oggenc.
- ripperX an X front end for cdparanoia and the 8Hz-mp3 MPEG encoder. Rips directly from CD to MPEG layer 3.
- CDRDAO the original disk-at-once burning tool for Linux/UNIX.