From Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase
X Lossless Decoder(XLD) is a tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various 'lossless' audio files. The supported audio files can be split into some tracks with cue sheet when decoding. It works on Mac OS X 10.3 and later.
XLD is Universal Binary, so it runs natively on both Intel Macs and PPC Macs.
XLD supports the following formats:
- (Ogg) FLAC (.flac/.ogg)
- Monkey's Audio (.ape)
- Wavpack (.wv)
- TTA (.tta)
- Apple Lossless (.m4a) [10.4 and later]
- AIFF, WAV, etc
- CUE Sheet generation
- AccurateRip technology
Other formats supported by Libsndfile are also decodable. XLD does not use the decoder frontend but the library instead to decode, so no intermediate files are generated. All of the supported formats can be directly split with the cue sheet. XLD also supports so-called 'embedded' or 'internal' cue sheet.
Currently you can choose output format from WAVE,AIFF and Raw PCM. In addition, you can choose Ogg Vorbis (aoTuV), MPEG-4 AAC (QuickTime/CoreAudio), MP3 (LAME), Apple Lossless, FLAC, HE-AAC (aacPlus v1/v2), Wave64 and WavPackin the GUI version.
XLD version 20080812 and later can be used as a CD ripper. You can convert each track in your audio CD into the desired format. Also XLD supports output a CD image with cue sheet (wav+cue, flac+cue, etc).
 Correction mechanism
XLD (X Lossless Decoder) uses the cdparanoia 10.2 libaries ripping and error correcting. XLD can also be used on drives that don't have Accurate Stream and utilize C2 error pointers (see Secure ripping). Additionally the AccurateRip database is used for matching checksums between numerous CD rips.
 Known Bugs
- Known bugs for the latest release of the sofware are listed under "Version history" on the main page of the XLD website and can be posted under this HA thread.
 Development API
The source code of XLD is included in the StuffIT light expander archive. The library and header of Libsndfile, FLAC, Wavpack, Monkey's audio and Libcddb is required to compile it.
The frontend and backend of XLD are seperated. The frontend is able to access the various decoders with the same interface. In the future various plug-in interfaces will be provided, so that you can easily develop plug-ins for new formats. If you are interested in doing this, please see
XLDDecoder.h in the source files.
 Source code
The source code is included in the archive below and is released under the GPL. Due to the rapid progression of developement on XLD it best you consult the source-code on thedevelopers website for the latest builds, which may include new features and binaries that are not listed on this wiki page.
- xld-gui-20080914.tbz (GUI version)
- xld-20070917.tar.bz2 (Command-line version)
- Vorbis aoTuV beta5 Plugin (For those who like the latest one; updated on 08/6/1)
- Vorbis aoTuV beta5.5 Plugin (For those who like the latest one; updated on 08/6/1)
- XLD integrates CD Paranoia III 10.2 a thread containing the intergration of cdparanoia 10.2 into XLD.
- XLD master thread list a master thread list that display's all facets of information releated to the XLD project
- MAC OEM features drive database a thread for various HA user submitted drive database of OEM drive features for XLD.
- XLD drive use results with log a thread for various HA user submitted ripping logs of XLD rips.
- XLD and the drive cache a thread for drive caches of various HA user submitted XLD rips